Accidents and incidents to be investigated:
• Rail traffic accident, which due to deaths or injuries, the extent of damage incurred to the environment, property or assets, or nature of the accident can be regarded as particularly serious (major accident)
• Serious railway accident as specified in Article 3 of the Directive (EU) 2016/798 of the European Parliament and of the Council on railway safety
- train collision (with another train, a shunting unit or an object or obstacle within the clearance gauge) or derailment, resulting in the death of at least one person or serious injuries to five or more persons, or extensive damage to the rolling stock, the infrastructure or the environment (in excess of EUR 2 million)
- any other railway accident with similar consequences, which has an obvious impact on railway safety (safety regulation or safety management)
- level crossing accident, resulting train derailment, or resulting in the death of at least one or serious injuries to five or more members of the train crew or passengers, or if the accident was result of failures within the railway system, or which due to deaths or injuries, the extent of damage incurred to the environment, property or assets, or nature of the accident can be regarded as particularly serious
- accident to persons involving rolling stock in motion at a station or railway yard (personnel, passengers), or in connection with a track maintenance operation (personnel)
- fire in rolling stock when running between the departure station and the destination (including when stopped at the departure station, the interim and destination stops), and re-marshalling operations.
- other type of accident
• and any similar accident in private or public rail traffic
- metro accident
- tramway accident.
A serious incident and another accident or incident may be investigated in accordance with the Safety Investigation Act. Also, a joint investigation of several similar accidents or incidents may be conducted in accordance with the Act.
The purpose of safety investigation is to promote general safety, the prevention of accidents and incidents, and the prevention of losses resulting from accidents.